Gilford is a historic town in Belknap County, New Hampshire. Gilford, NH is located right along Lake Winnipesaukee. The town is home to Belknap Mountain State Forest, Ellacoya State Beach, Govenors Island, Kimball Castle and more. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Gilford, NH has a population of 7,126.
The area that is present-day Gilford was settled in 1778. It was originally part of Gilmanton, NH until it branched off into a town called Gunstock Parish. In 1812, Captain Lemuel B. Mason retired to Gunstock Parish and suggested a new name. He proposed Guilford, after the 1781 Battle of Guilford Court House in North Carolina. The Gilford, NH we know today received its spelling due to a clerical error.