Meredith is a small town located in Belknap County, New Hampshire, right beside Lake Winnipesaukee. Meredith, NH is home to the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad and the Stonedam Island Natural Area. According to the U.S. Census of 2012, the town has a population of over 6,240.
Meredith, NH was originally known as Palmer's Town in honor of Samuel Palmer. Palmer was responsible for laying out much of the land around Lake Winnipesaukee. By 1748, it was one of the first towns to have a charter granted by the Masonian Proprietors. This brought many people from Salem, MA. In turn, the town was renamed to New Salem. The town was officially named Meredith, NH in 1766 after Sir William Meredith, a member of Parliament opposed to taxation on the colonies.